Sunday, April 17, 2011

La Jolla 1/2 Marathon

I was promised a course with one hill. ONE HILL! Not four. And the “one hill” ended up being the monster at Torrey Pines. The uphills were only half the battle. The steep downs ate what was left of my dignity. Tip: Research the course before you sign up for a race. Not doing first hand research was a blessing in disguise though. If I had known the course was going to have 850’ of elevation gain I probably wouldn’t have signed up. I read a bunch of reviews online and everyone chose to talk about the poor race management and the disgusting tap water instead of the aforementioned issue. Runners are a finicky bunch.

My complaints are only skin-deep. I loved the experience. The La Jolla ½ Marathon was a great course with lots of challenges. The sun displayed a rare shy side for the whole race. It was perfect running weather. The scenery was also grade A+. There’s something magical about being one of 6500 people all heading to the same destination. At times I let the energy of the group propel me forward. When the herd charged hills, I merely followed. I got lost in the music of click clack click clack.

PRing is a small part of the experience. Learning how to be a better runner is so much better. The race was great motivation to train harder. I could see myself being a decent ½ marathon junkie by 2012. I’m really looking forward to signing up for my next adventure.

If you’ve never participated in a race I strongly encourage you to look into it. Half marathons attract people from all walks of life. There is no stereotypical participant. Also, you don’t need to train as much as some people think. I always hear people saying things like, “Ya, it sounds fun but I’m so out of shape.” I’m telling you, there are all shapes and sizes at races. Everyone is welcome. So what if you pace the 82-year-old woman with one leg. The experience will be well worth your time. Let’s go race!

No comments:

Post a Comment